Offload by Dad Bear
Offload, a photo by Dad Bear on Flickr.

Republic Polytechnic, 21/7/2011.
It was a clash of the number 2 and number 3 teams in the 2011 C Division Rugby League on match day 6 of the competition. With the semi final places already locked up, it was just the simple matter of settling who would finish higher in the table. Regardless of the result that day, both teams will square off again when the competition enters the semi final stage in mid August 2011.
Both teams began eagerly in the hot sun, with the bulk of play in the trenches, as the forwards battled it out for ground and possession was exchanged frequently in the early stages. 5 minutes in, ACS (I) Captain, Isaiah Teh went on a surging run, before offloading to winger , Daniel Ho who evaded 2 tackles before scoring between the posts. ACS (I) #9 Joshua Goh who played Fly-Half for the day, made the conversion handily. Not long after, it was ACS (I)’s Daniel Ho who went over from the same wing. ACS (I) leads 14-0. When the referee called for a 1 minute water break, the SJI coach could be heard across the pitch giving his charges the hairdryer treatment. Whatever he said, appeared to spur the lads in green and white to action, as they started to look more menacing. SJI began to string together a few moves, and were awarded a penalty in midfield and in ACS territory. Electing to kick to touch, SJI made the grave error of failing to find touch. The ball instead fell to ACS (I)’s Winger Jeremy Toh, who caught the ball cleanly, and went on a diagonal cross field 75m run. He went on a mazy slalom, before touching down for a try in the left corner. With the failed conversion which hit the upright, ACS (I) led 19-0. In the last play of the half, man of the match ACS (I) #9 Joshua Goh scored after sustained ACS(I) pressure, before dusting himself down and converting the try. HT ACS(I) lead SJI 26-0
In the second half, SJI emerged ready to make amends for their first half disappointment. Yet, the lads in blue and gold continued to swarm near the SJI tryline. After SJI had repelled many attacks near their try area, ACS(I) elected to kick for goal when they were awarded a penalty on the 22m line. The successful penalty 10 minutes into the second half made the score 29-0 to ACS(I). In the 45th minute of play, ACS(I) #8 Keegan Yap crashed over thetry line for the ACS(I) ‘s 5th try of the day. With the successful conversion, the score read 36-0 to ACS (I). In the 52nd minute of play, Lee Jen En, sneaked in between the legs of his tacklers to touch the try line. Again converted by ACS #9 Joshua Goh, 43-0. It was Joshua Goh who capped off a sparkling performance with a brave try on the 58th minute. After the play, he was stricken on the ground for a good half minute, before his team mates helped him up on his feet. Yet, The plucky lad insisted on taking the conversion himself, which he made with ease. ACS leads 50-0. The referee blew for time minutes later.
This is only a curtain raiser to what should be an enthralling semi final 3 weeks from today. SJI while outplayed today, clearly has more in reserve, given their brilliant displays against RI and ACS (Barker) in the earlier rounds. When the competition reaches the knock out stages, the coaching staff on both teams will be sure to rev their charges up. We can all be sure, the tension will be palpable then, and the intensity of play, up by several notches. We all await that clash with bated breath.

Full Time ACS (I) 50 SJI 0

More pictures can be seen here: